Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Bip, bip, bip...

2014. A new year. A new beginning.

There's something so beautiful about a new beginning. It's a reason to celebrate life and past accomplishes, and then plan for what's to come. As I reminisce on the years that have passed, I certainly have reason to celebrate. But last year more than ever, as my daughter gave me the greatest gift of all...

There was so much to do in the early years at CBCF that I wondered if I had the energy to carry on. I had no experience in board work, no salary, no idea how to write grants, no start-up money, no room in the house, no time for family. The phone was ringing at all hours with distressed women on the other end. I hardly had time for a shower.

I knew all the good reasons for never giving up, but when you’re tired, the words come out sounding like “blah, blah, blah.”

A little while ago, I thought the sound of my own words and reasons to push on actually sounded like “bip, bip, bip.” 160 bips a minute. And those bips were related to what looked like a lima bean, pulsing grey and white in a busy little dance, on a black background.


What it meant was that my daughter was smiling, the ultrasound technician was smiling, there were tears brimming in my eyes and my mascara had given up the ghost.

Yes, it was the sound of my first grandchild, that I called “Lima Bean.” Of course, Lima Bean has about a 50-50 chance of being a girl or boy. And for sure the beautiful, excited, slightly nauseous girl (no — not a girl, but a woman) with the cold, ultrasound jelly on her belly is my baby, yes a woman and my beloved daughter (lucky little Bean to have Chelsea. She's going to be such a great mom!).

Lima Bean’s actual birthday is meant to be in October. It’s also the month of my birthday. New beginnings are and will be paired with what’s been a big story in my life, as October is also Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

So every October I also have a reason to celebrate life and new beginnings. I am blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on the On All Fronts blog! We'd love to read your feedback on this post.